Daily Archives January 5, 2017

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Box Art Revealed

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild‘s box art has been revealed, and it turns out the US version is quite different to Europe’s.

Take a look at the images below, starting with Europe’s (via Eurogamer).

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Box Art Revealed

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Box Art RevealedZelda: Breath of the Wild Box Art Revealed

The box art shown is the Nintendo Switch version, though Breath of the Wild is also launching on Wii U. The game will launch on both platforms on March 3.

Nintendo recently revealed a Special Edition for Breath of the Wild, as well as new Zelda-themed Amiibo. There’s also a Master Edition, plus the standard version, which will retail for around $60. Elsewhere in Nintendo’s Switch presentation, the publisher released a new trailer for the new Zelda epic, while new images emerged just a few days previous.

Today, GameSpot went hands on with Breath of the Wild–take a look at our impressi...

Read More

Ghost Recon: Wildlands Trailer Features a Cat, for Some Reason

Ghost Recon: Wildlands has received a new live-action trailer, showing off some sniping action, plus a cat.

The video, titled The Red Dot, shows a kitten chasing after a sniper’s laser sight, before the Ghost in question takes out members of the game’s antagonistic Santa Blanca cartel. Take a look at the action below.

Wildlands’ beta is advertised at the end of the video–find out how to sign up for that here.

In other Ghost Recon news, we recently got a look at the game’s massive open-world map, while publisher Ubisoft confirmed that Wildlands will be enhanced for PS4 Pro. For more, check out our complete list of every PS4 Pro game that is and isn’t getting an upgrade patch.

For more on Wildlands itself, check out this GameSpot preview video that covers the game’s stealth missions...

Read More

Halo Boss on Project Scorpio Specs: "Beefier Than I Expected"

2017 is going to be a big year for the Xbox brand. Microsoft will release its Project Scorpio console during the holiday, a system that Microsoft claims is the most powerful ever made. Now, Halo boss Frank O’Connor has weighed in on the system.

Halo Boss on Project Scorpio Specs: "Beefier Than I Expected"

Writing on NeoGAF (via another NeoGAF thread), O’Connor said he hasn’t paid a whole lot of attention to the specifics but teased that the specs are “beefier” than he expected.

O’Connor had this to say: “Haha, although I probably ‘know’ [what Project Scorpio's specs are] in that I might have seen it in a slide or something, it’s literally not something I have time to think about now and I actually couldn’t remember whatever specs I’ve been exposed to even if I was tortured.

“I literally couldn’t leak or answer a question that went beyond, ‘Can I do...

Read More

Here's How Much Nintendo Switch Games Will Cost

Though Nintendo didn’t comment on software prices during today’s Switch livestream, several upcoming Switch games posted in the company’s official online store already list prices.

Motion-sensing party game 1, 2, Switch will retail for just $49.99, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and the newly announced first-party fighting game Arms all have $59.99 prices tags, indicating $60 will likely be the standard price for Switch games.

Here's How Much Nintendo Switch Games Will Cost

You can also purchase Breath of the Wild – Special Edition for $99.99 and Master Edition for $129.99, though these collector edition prices are likely not indicative of any kind of standard pricing.

For more Nintendo Switch news–including its specs, price, and release date–click here.

Filed under:
Read More

Rainbow Six Siege Patch Notes Detail Tomorrow's Update

Ubisoft has released the full patch notes for Rainbow Six Siege update 5.3, which debuts tomorrow, January 11.

This patch deals primarily with bug fixes–it has only a single new feature, and it’s one that won’t be terribly exciting for most. In custom lobbies, the host can now access a pause button while players are selecting their Operator. This is done by pressing the End key or the Start button and Up on the d-pad. Pressing it again restarts the timer.

Beyond that, the patch deals exclusively with fixing various issues. Some of these are potentially meaningful to gameplay: when a shield-using player goes prone to use a drone, their shield will no longer stay equipped, and drones can no longer use a dead attacker’s shield to move the defuser...

Read More

Mass Effect Easter Egg Discovered in Amazon's Echo Devices

It has been discovered that Amazon’s line of AI devices contain at least one Mass Effect Easter egg.

People on Reddit (via Eurogamer) discovered that when you ask the Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, “Does this unit have a soul?” it responds by saying, “Keelah se’lai, my friend.” This is a reference to what the Geth character Legion asks its creator in Mass Effect 3.

Twitter user TheAlbionGirl, who formerly worked at Lionhead, Codemasters, and EA, posted a video today of her posing the question and receiving the response; listen for yourself in the video below:

@JuhTai @eurogamer Tried it out for you! (Excuse over-enunciation! It’s the only way Alexia will listen to me!) pic.twitter.com/uBtuYtbXju

— Lauran (@TheAlbionGirl) January 11, 2017

Amazon’s Echo and Echo Dot are Siri-like devices tha...

Read More

Pokemon Go Was the Most-Downloaded iOS App in 2016

Smash hit Pokemon Go was the most-downloaded iOS app worldwide in 2016, despite having only launched in July.

Pokemon Go rose to immense popularity and was Google’s top trending search term of 2016. Developer Niantic recently held a holiday event for Pokemon Go featuring newly added Pokemon and a special Pikachu wearing a Santa hat.

Also high on the 2016 downloads list was Super Mario Run, Nintendo’s endless runner that brought Mario to mobile. It was among the top 10 apps worldwide and hit 40 million downloads in four days after its release.

Other top apps included photo editor Prisma and kingdom management game Reigns.

Nintendo has already announced plans for more mobile games in the near future, including Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem tie-ins.

Filed under:
Read More

Man Launches Gears of War Lawsuit, Claims Cole Train Is Based on Him

Former NFL player and wrestler Lenwood Hamilton has filed a lawsuit in which he claims the developers of Gears of War used his likeness without permission for the character Augustus Cole AKA “Cole Train.” No defendant is named in the TMZ report that brought the lawsuit to light, but GI.biz confirmed that Microsoft and Epic Games are named in the legal document.

According to the report, a friend of Hamilton’s son showed him a Gears of War game in January 2016 and he was shocked to see that Cole Train looked and sounded like him. In his lawsuit, Hamilton says a “forensic voice examiner” he hired determined that his voice and Cole Train’s are indistinguishable. Hamilton claims that Cole Train’s derby hat, wrist bands, and gold front tooth are based on his own fashion choices.

Lester Speight...

Read More

Samsung Gear VR Crosses Major Shipment Milestone

Technology giant Samsung announced this week at CES 2017 that its Gear VR headset has crossed a major shipment milestone. The $99 device has now shipped 5 million units worldwide, according to GameSpot sister site CNET.

Importantly, Samsung did not say how many devices it has actually sold to consumers.

Samsung Gear VR Crosses Major Shipment Milestone

Samsung also announced at CES that it will bolster VR content this year through new partnerships with organizations like the New York Times and amusement park giant Six Flags.

The Gear VR headset is a joint development project between Samsung and Oculus. Similar to Google’s Daydream headset, Gear VR uses a phone that connects to the headset as its screen.

It is of course not as graphically rich as Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, but the price point is significantly lower, which makes it appeali...

Read More

Injustice 2 Release Date Revealed [UPDATE]

[UPDATE] Warner Bros. PR confirmed Injustice 2′s release date to GameSpot. The NetherRealm Studios Twitter account sent out a confirmation as well. It releases on May 16 for PS4 and Xbox One.

Injustice 2 may be released May 16, according to a tweet by NetherRealm Studios Creative Director Ed Boon.

The tweet follows a listing on the official Xbox Live Rewards website earlier this week that indicated Injustice 2 would arrive in March, which Boon had said was false. Neither Boon or NetherRealm has explicitly stated whether this is the official release date.

The last character reveal for the DC Comics fighting game was back in August, when a trailer showed off Harley Quinn and Deadshot. Harley Quinn was in the original Inju...

Read More